Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2014 23:13:00 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014, 22:08 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> John's intervention was just-in-time in this perspective.  I've checked=
=20
> his post to X11 and read much of that list's archives over the last 3=20
> months, and I can appreciate the difficulties.  However John's hardware=
=20
> _should_ be supported (with vt(4) according to [1] above), and despite=20
> his post being unanswered as yet, it looks more like some config issue,=
=20
> perhaps, than any sort of generic hardware failure .. I may be wrong,=20
> but I didn't detect any recent avalanche of failures of that nature.

I did mention in an earlier reply to this thread that vt(4) was fine for
me but that the new X just didn't work (couldn't seem to find the
screen).  Jan Kokem=C3=BCller kindly replied a couple of days ago to my post
to -x11@ and I have now been able to get to the bottom of the failure.

I build custom kernels for my systems and I don't build modules.  I
always check very carefully to make sure that I incorporate any changes
=66rom a new release's GENERIC or NOTES config files before I build a new
release.  There was absolutely nothing in the 9.3-RC1 GENERIC or NOTES
files about vt, drm2 or i915kms.  I found vt and vt_vga in an additional
VT kernel config file in 9.3-RC1.  There was no mention in the NOTES
config file to suggest that drm or i915drm were obsolete, deprecated or
dangerous, and no pointer to their replacements.  I built 9.3-RC1 with
drm and i915drm in my kernel config because I *knew* that I need them
for X.  Those (old Xorg) drivers were loaded as part of my new 9.3-RC1
kernel.  The new Xorg didn't have the new drivers available and couldn't
work.

After taking the clue from Jan's post to -x11@, I removed drm and
i915drm from my kernel config.  There is no kernel config device
available for either drm2 or i915kms, so I had to include them as
modules with "MODULES_OVERRIDE=3Ddrm2".  I also added the devices iicbus,
iic and iicbb to my kernel config (required by drm2 and i915kms).  After
all of that, using the new Xorg worked on my notebook.  Please note
that, by this time, my notebook had been upgraded to 10-STABLE (see my
recent reply to -x11@ for details), so I have NOT tested this on 9.3.

So, I think the NEW_XORG default on 9.3 would probably have worked for
me *if* I had not had drm and i915drm devices in my kernel config *and*
had built all kernel modules.  I am sure I am not the only one who uses
custom kernels for -RELEASE deployments, and the precautions I take
(merging GENERIC/NOTES diffs) have never let me down before.  It's just
that there was no red flag waving anywhere to warn that the Xorg default
was going to change and no indication (to a -RELEASE user) as to what
kernel components would need to be replaced in order to accommodate the
new default.

Thank you all for bearing with me on this.  If some relevant
documentation makes it into the release, that will be a good outcome.

Thank you.

--=20
John Marshall

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50