Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:55:31 -0600
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <rucus.ru.ac.za@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        Davis <dd002f@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>, Rob Garrett <eagle@phc.igs.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PR

I think this is _really_ interesting, Neil. I think that we should have
a section on our site next to the Users Groups listing for Universities
which have an active teaching / proseletyzing / using presence,
especially in countries like yours where the vast majority of the people
will never in their lifetime be able to afford one copy of MS Word...
Kudos to you and your teammates!

I've CC'd my webmasters for the new advocacy section of the freebsd.org
site. Our goal is to begin racheting up the level of interaction between
users, to make the FreeBSD community much more an active community that
shares resources and advice on a global scale. The mailing lists we have
are excellent for those who use them, what we want to do is to add other
mechanisms to enhance the connectivity and the fun.

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Wed 1999-04-14 (20:25), Davis wrote:
> > I am not certain of a good way to accomplish this, but I think an
> > excellent way to start is to aim at college students (in much the way that
> > Microsoft is). Currently, many of my peers are completely unaware of
> > FreeBSD, aside from some hardcore computer geeks (of course, I do my best
> > to make them aware). If people start using FreeBSD during college years
> > (perhaps the time of greatest increase in computer exposure for many,
> > myself included), they will likely be hooked for life; I should know, I
> > think I may be hooked myself. (=
>
> I was in the lucky position to arrive at the university that I did,
> which had a student computer society that provided tons of services
> (nice email address, web pages, irc, etc) and I was immediately snapped
> up by the process and ended up becoming one of the sysadmin, and in
> charge of giving courses.
>
> I think the system we have here is very good - we have a few clued
> people arriving every year, for their first year they hate us and try
> and break the system, and then by their second year they're our friends,
> we teach them things, and they teach us things.  All through the year a
> team of people who use computers give courses from WordPerfect and other
> applications provided on the Windows systems in the labs, to advanced
> subjects, CGI, Apache administration, make, perl, the ports system, etc.
>
> This way we get our money for providing the courses for the people not
> really interested in the Unix side, and the clued people will start to
> realize we only give lame courses, and start to go to the ones that
> sound interesting, and so on.
>
> Since the local national Science and Arts festivals are hosted in our
> city, and we're the clued computer people in the city (according to the
> organizers, and even the Computer Science department), we give courses
> on using the Web to designing serious Web pages, and we get to have a
> course or two on "Unix, the alternative Operating System" (or something
> like that), and get to expound on how much FreeBSD [and Linux] rules
> compared to NT, with CDs on sale (for free next year), etc.
>
> Since Geoff Rehmet got involved with the society just after its
> inception, the society and the entire [clued] university student
> computer movement is FreeBSD-related, leaving a rich heritage to pass on
> as people leave, and new people arrive. (although we despair at leaving
> the society in the hands of the "hax0r-kiddies", our current bunch of
> friendly second years).
>
> > Of course, I really do not know specifically how we might accomplish this.
> > FreeBSD boot disks for all the comp. sci., math, and physics majors? (just
> > kidding) Seriously, though, I think just making FreeBSD known in my
> > neighborhood and emphasizing its strong networking abilities would do some
> > good.
>
> We're planning an installathon or two soon, and with our membership fee
> [...]

Don Wilde                 "Bringing the Internet to everyone!"
Wilde Media
1380 Rio Rancho Blvd. SE #117  voice:      505-771-0709
Rio Rancho, New Mexico 87124   e-mail:     dwilde1@thuntek.net