Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:43:28 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E9lix=2DAntoine?= Paradis <reel@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux meeting in =?iso-8859-1?Q?Qu=E9bec=2E?=

Félix-Antoine Paradis wrote:

> Hey,
>
>     A linux user group in Quebec, Canada, is having a meeting soon. They
> want someone to demonstrate the utility/differences between the BSD family
> and other linux distributions. I gave my name to do that. Now, i am
> looking for some online demonstrations/benchmarking diffs. I got some
> arguments, some things to say, but, i just want to hear from you. If
> there's any points to push hard, hidden features or great differences.

It would depend upon how technical they want the presentation to be. If
it were me, I would concentrate on the end-user vantage point. I would
compare and contrast:

pkg versus rpm/deb
ports versus apt-get
make buildworld versus making dozens of distinct packages
BSD init versus SYSV init
different kernel config styles

The following points are also good to cover:

kernel/environment integration
complete documentation as part of the base OS
kernel security, jail, etc.
mature IPv6

David