Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:38:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        gregm@netidea.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed of DNS

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 gregm@netidea.com wrote:
> According to the primer this file should handle reverse lookup as well. It is
               ^^^^^^^^^^
Which primer?  It's wrong.  The resolver code will always try to find
a nameserver for 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa (in your case) when doing
reverse lookups.  It won't find one in your setup.

> called from named.boot. I'm using the names supplied by the primer for
> humours sake but changed them for my machines. I'm using 2.2.6-
> RELEASE if that makes any difference. BTW ftp is slow to connect as well.
> Thanks for the suggestion ... I learned some more in investigating it 8>)
> Greg.
> gregm@netidea.com
>
> @	IN SOA	 my.domain. root.my.domain.  (
> 			 961230	; Serial
> 			 3600	; Refresh
> 			 900	; Retry
> 			 3600000	; Expire
> 			 3600 )	; Minimum
> 	IN NS	curly.my.domain.
>
> curly.my.domain.		IN A	192.168.1.1	# The FreeBSD box
> larry.my.domain.		IN A	192.168.1.2
> moe.my.domain.		IN A	192.168.1.3
> shemp.my.domain.	IN A	192.168.1.4

Up to here the zone is correct.

> $ORIGIN 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 		IN NS	curly.my.domain.
> 1		IN PTR	curly.my.domain.
> 2		IN PTR	larry.my.domain.
> 3		IN PTR	moe.my.domain.
> 4		IN PTR	shemp.my.domain.

These entries need to be in db.192.168.1 and be listed in named.boot as

primary 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa db.192.168.1

> $ORIGIN 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> 		IN NS	curly.my.domain.
> 1		IN PTR	localhost.my.domain.

And this needs to be in db.localhost and be listed in named.boot as

primary 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa db.localhost

(you can change the file names, just make sure named.boot and the files
agree)

Oh, leave the $ORIGIN line out of both new files also, it's redundant.
Both of the new files also need the same SOA section at the top

@	IN SOA	 my.domain. root.my.domain.  (
 			 961230	; Serial
 			 3600	; Refresh
 			 900	; Retry
 			 3600000	; Expire
 			 3600 )	; Minimum
 	IN NS	curly.my.domain.

The NS record isn't, strictly speaking, part of the SOA but it is
also needed in each file.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com