Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:01:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "James_Billingham@mentorg.com" <James_Billingham@mentorg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Driver support for MicroSolutions CD-RIM

Please address questions to freebsd-questions (where I've redirected
follow-ups) - the doc mailing list is actually for docs submissions
and fixes.

> I finally was able to install FreeBSD on my laptop, after partially
> overcoming a significant obstacle:  My laptop has an external CD-ROM Drive
> (via LPT1 and printer cable connection): MicroSolutions Bantam Backpack
> CD-ROM Drive.

Support for which is only just now coming into FreeBSD, I'm afraid.

> This device does not seem to be on the list of supported devices with my
> FreeBSD documentation.

Correct.

> I have installed a fraction of the core packages and other files from the
> CD via XCOPY to my DOS partition on the hard drive, then using the setup
> and install programs from DOS to install the kernel, packages, etc. to my
> UNIX partition of the hard drive.  However, neither XCOPY nor Windows95
> copy command can copy some of the files with special characters in the
> filenames.

If there are specific packages you're interested in, you might just
rename them and run pkg_add(1) on them.  As long as the suffix is
.tgz, the pkg_add command doesn't care about the rest of the filename
(except when loading dependencies, but you can also load those by hand).

>    1.  Is there currently FreeBSD-compatible driver for this Drive?
>
>         a.  If so, how do I obtain and install it?

You'd have to jump all the way to 3.0 and the new parallel port bus
stuff.  If I'm not mistaken, your CDROM uses one of those internal
parallel-to-SCSI adaptors which we now support.  If it doesn't and is
actually something seriously proprietary then "never" might be a more
honest prediction for the support date. :(

>         b.  If not, is there some "mostly compatible" driver and/or
> procedure which would allow me to access my CD-ROM drive directly from
> UNIX?

Any standard SCSI CDROM and the Adaptec SCSI PCCARD controller will be
a good match.

>      2.  Is there some other method by which I can transfer more files from
> my CD-ROM to the UNIX partition on my hard drive?

Through a DOS partition?  Now that 2.2.7 and later support Win95 long
filenames, you could even get the files across using their correct
names (though you'd have to find those correct names by looking in the
TRANS.TBL files since Win95 *STILL* hasn't got working rockridge long
filename support for CDROMS!).

- Jordan