Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:38:06 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "N. Harrington" <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: What is a "sane" setting for maxdsize when running amd64? it seems many normal suggestions do not apply.

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 20:54:36 N. Harrington wrote:
> Hello
>  I feel stupid, but I am confused about kern.maxdsiz (or datasize via
> limits command) on FreeBSD amd64.
>

>  I have seen many posts and suggestions to raise it to 1G. However it see=
ms
> this only applies to i386. By default, on servers I have with 4G of
> physical memory, and 2X that of swap, I am showing a reported datasize
> limit of 33554432KB. far in excess of even my physical and swap combined!=
> have seen suggestions from mysql for maxdsize to be set to 1G. Obviously =
no
> such problem with amd64?

on amd64 when maxdsiz not set it stops at 512 limit but soon you set it to =
1G =20
it appearently is able to use more  this is not the case on i386 - but I=20
would say don't worry about it

on i386 your machine could hang at boot when setting maxdsiz higher than=20
installed physical memory but that never happened to me with amd64

I have some server running squid for caching perfect with 4, 8 and 16G of R=
AM=20

I set maxdsiz do 3G on machines with 4Gigs of RAM but I do not run anything=
=20
else so then I adjust cache_mem with maximum_object_size_in_memory to use t=
he=20
most possible amount of memory without doing swap.=20

anyway you set it in boot.loader there is no need to compile something into=
=20
the kernel

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o