Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Alvidrez <cram@greenavenger.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   updating ssh

Hello,

I am attempting to upgrade OpenSSH from 1.2.2 to 2.9 using the ports tree.
While attempting to build both openssh and openssh-portable, the build
process exits complaining about being unable to find shared library
"crypto.2", which appears to be a part of openssl 0.9.6b.

Since I'm running FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #2: last updated on Tue Jun 20
18:01:58 PDT 2000 on an AlphaStation 200 4/233, I figure that the openssl
included in the base install has been updated (understandably and probably
pretty significantly!) and simply doesn't exist on my system.

My question: Is there any way to update OpenSSH without rebuilding the
entire system?

This system has worked beautifly for me for quite some time, and prefer
not to fix what aint broken.  Also, I haven't kept up with this list and
do not really know what sort of problems I can expect if I *do* have to
attempt to make world.

TIA,
Marc