Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:42:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@metropolis.idt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   totally stumped about pppd and connecting to other freebsd boxes

I've got this very weird problem. I'm using pppd, chat, et al to connect
to a PPP account I have, which allocates a dynamic IP address(I'm used to
static ones, so..). Well, the problem I'm having is whenever I try to
connect to various FreeBSD boxes. For example:

partek:~> telnet soho.ios.com
Trying 198.4.75.47...
Connected to soho.ios.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host

Does the same for any other tcp based connection(i.e. SMTP, POP3, HTTP)

Same for a few other FreeBSD boxes, even ones on different networks.
Yet ones like www.cdrom.com and www.freebsd.org work just fine..
The even weirder thing is, I can connect to BSDI, Solaris, OSF/1, etc
systems with absolutely no problem at all.

I'm relatively sure it's not the ppp setup because I had no problems
before when I was using a different ISP, only difference then was that I
had a static IP. (All I changed in my config was the phone number!)

I'm not on the list, so a direct email reply would be helpful, thanks :)

TIA,
Dave