Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 17:28:20 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swapper

In his e-mail Khetan Gajjar wrote:
> Hi again.
>
> Some more detailed info for you :
>
> [chain] ~$ swapinfo
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/wd1s1b     44128    34880     9184    79%    Interleaved
> [chain] ~$ sudo kill -1 0
> Hangup
> [chain] ~$ swapinfo
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/wd1s1b     44128    34880     9184    79%    Interleaved
> [chain] ~$
>
> I am doing very little on the machine; all I have open is three xterms,
> fvwm95, netscape, the xconsole and pine. The load average is 0.37,
> and the machine (a 486 dx4/120) has 32mb ram and 1gig disk space.

netscape is a known memory hog.

OTOH, BSD uses LRU for swapping out, so that disk cache has precedence
over not recently used data.  This is (IMHO) a GoodThing(TM).  This is
what "fully merged VM and buffer cache" is all about.  It helps a lot
under heavier load, and disturbs not under light loads.

/Marino