Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:48:38 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ABI/architecture identification for packages

--EgVrEAR5UttbsTXg

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 06:24:37AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120319215802.GC1692@azathoth.lan>, Baptiste Daroussin write=
s:
>=20
> >On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:35:08PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>=20
> >> In order to identify architectures I need to find a uniq id for every
> >> possibilities (for pkgng)
> >>=20
> >> here is the identification I propose:
> >>=20
> >> arch-class-os-majorversion(-archi_specific_extension)
>=20
> Given how sparse this name-space is, you'll have less than 50
> different values, you might want to consider something more compact,
> such as a single letter for all components, and the version number last:
>=20
> X2F9 	=3D x64-32-freebsd-9
> X4F10	=3D x64-64-freebsd-10
> A2FB9	=3D arm-32-freebsd-eb_oabi-9
>=20
> By the time we run out of ASCII or even Unicode characters, we have
> other problems.
>=20

While I tend to agree to compact/short identifier on the principle, I don't
really like the obfuscation it brings, I prefer this to remain humain reada=
ble,
at a point or another it could be shown to users (you are trying to install=
 an
x86-64-freebsd-10 package on a x86-32-freebsd-9 system if more understandab=
le=20
than "you are trying to install a X4F10 package on a X2F9 system.)

regards,
Bapt

--EgVrEAR5UttbsTXg

--EgVrEAR5UttbsTXg--