Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:07:00 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   nfs mounting /usr/local/bin as /opt/bin?

Hi,

A question:

Short version:

Are there any ports that will break if they are used from another
directory (i.e. /opt/bin) than what they were originally installed into
(i.e. /usr/local/bin)? I'm not considering daemons and stuff, but user
programs.

Long version:

I find it a bit odd that /usr/local is where everything is put that
shouldn't be local, i.e. binaries that could be nfs-served to all
workstations on a LAN. This is tradition, and I live with it :) I even
like it, but admit it's odd;-)

Now, I have a webserver that typically needs /usr/local/bin/perl, and a
few other progs in /usr/local/bin. Would be nice to have the latest
releases of all other user programs without having to install them there
as well as on our nfs server machine. For our other workstations, I nfs
mount /usr/local and /usr/ports, and put individually installed ports in
/usr/opt with 'make DESTDIR=/opt reinstall', or something similar.

For the webserver, I'd rather not use perl over nfs, since it's used a
lot. All perl sources want /usr/local/bin/perl. Can I mount the rest of
the binaries from another freebsd machine to /opt/bin and /opt/lib,
without breaking anything? I mean, is there anything that will break if
not explicitally pu in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib?

This would be the fstab on the webserver machine:

/opt/bin    otherserver:/usr/local/bin
/opt/lib    otherserver:/usr/local/lib
/opt/man    oterhserver:/usr/local/man

Regards,