Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 15:34:28 +0700 (NSS)
From:      Ustimenko Semen <semen@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, dc-sage@dc-sage.org, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, amanda-users@cs.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: DDS/2 tape specs

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, David Kelly wrote:
> Harlan Stenn writes:
> > My second test took 8191 `y' characters followed by a newline:
> >
> >  % yes `cat 8ky` | dd bs=8k of=/dev/rst0
> >
> > and I eventually killed after over 24 hours' elapsed time.
> > When I killed it, I think it claimed to have written nearly 10G to the tape.
>
> 24 hrs for only 10G doesn't sound good.
>
> To a similar DDS-2 (with compression) drive I once used dd to copy
> /dev/null until something broke. Got 88G on a DDS-1 90m tape. Took
> about 8 hours. SGI Indy R5000, Irix 6.2, OEM SGI/Seagate/Archive DDS-2
> tape drive.

Yes, in good times it writes real fs data on 500-800 Kb/s.
But in worst, it goes on 20-80 Kb/s :-(

Else total capacity and speed decrease after you use tape many
times without eraseing it and/or cleaning drive's head. IMHO
there are linear dependence between data speed and cartridge
capacity (becouse the tape speed is fixed).

I'm useing SDT-7000 under 2.2.6-stable. And i can't say:
`It works perfectly!` :-(