Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:23:51 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        capm@gmx.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh-oh... fsck can't repair my files-partition!

owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG wrote on 10/22/2002 12:58:49 PM:

> Hello,

> after a total systemfreeze - probably due to a new installed kernel - i
had
> to do a few resets. That bashed a few partiotions, among them the /files,
> which is my largest and most valuable with around 30 GB.

> All could be cleaned except of files, here is the output:

> --
> # fsck /files
> ** /dev/ad0s2e (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /files
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> SALVAGE? no

> SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> SALVAGE? no

> BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> SALVAGE? no

Howabout answering these questions with 'yes' instead of 'no'? That always
works for me. In fact, I have a hard drive on it's last legs, the other day
it apparently crashed, I hard-reset the computer, ran fsck -y on that disk
and finally after running this about 8 times it finally was marked clean.

--
Chip