Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:07:00 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Morten Seeberg <ml@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE updated - How to update

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 02:58:16AM +0100, Morten Seeberg wrote:
> > See the handbook, especially the section "Staying current with
> > FreeBSD", on ways to keep your system's sources (and binaries, of
> > course) up to date with the latest 4.0-STABLE source.
>
> Yes, but I dont want to run STABLE on this machine :)
> I want to run RELEASE.

Well, then I suppose that you should not use RELENG_4 as the default tag
in your sup files, but RELENG_4_0_RELEASE.  If you fear that this will
select the rerolled 4.0-REL sources, you can specify in your supfile
instead of a `tag' to use for checking out the sources, a `date', as in:

	*default date=2000.03.10.18.00.00

This will select the latest release of the sources, at 18:00, March 10, 2000.

The manpage of cvsup explains in more detail how the `date' directive
can be used to select specific revisions of the sources from the CVS
repository.

Unless the manpage of cvsup has not managed to confuse me behind any
point of salvation, I think you can use both a *tag and *date, to
checkout the sources of a specific date from a given branch, i.e.:

	*default tag=RELENG_4_0_RELEASE
	*default date=2000.03.10.18.00.00

Note that I haven't had time to test this yet.  I will test it once I
get online again, but I would advise backing up your /usr/src tree
before playing with different *tag and *date's in your supfiles.

- Giorgos Keramidas