Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 08:12:01 -0500
From:      "Jacques A . Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabmail.rresearch.com>, R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2: make install 'fails' ...

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:03:22PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> > ** The header file <arpa/nameser.h> has a struct field named "class" that
> >    g++ didn't like a whole lot :-).  It was included from
> >    kdelibs-1.90/kdecore/ksock.cpp to get a constant for Solaris.  I
> >    ifdef'd it out like this:
> >     #ifndef __FreeBSD__
> >     // defines MAXDNAME under Solaris
> >     #include <arpa/nameser.h>
> >     #endif
>
> Ok, I'll add this patch, although I didn't have a problem with this
> particular nit.

Please don't.  If the comment is correct, then it should be something
like:

  #ifdef solaris
  #include <arpa/nameser.h> // for MAXDNAME
  #endif

Do not include any reference to __FreeBSD__ ... this is not a FreeBSD
issue.  See my previous posting in this thread for more details.

[snip]
> > ** Make sure my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting has /usr/X11R6/kde2/lib before
> >    /usr/local/lib (where the old kde port installed things).  Not sure if
> >    this is needed or has an effect.  I need to read up on shared library
> >    handling on FreeBSD...
>
> ldconfig -m %B calls ``ldconfig -m ${PREFIX}/lib'', which adds the
> correct search path for where you installed the libs.

This will add the libraries to the end of the search path-- and this
is the best that the port can do.  Users can specify the entire list
of paths to ldconfig if they want a different search order, e.g.

  ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/kde2/lib \
       /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org