Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:02:42 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        trini 0 <gms08701@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I goofed

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 11:15 am, trini 0 wrote:
> Hey all.  I have a box with 2 ide hds.  freebsd was on
> ide2 so I decided to move it to ide1 because I was
> adding a burner so cabling would be easier.  So I
> moved it, and it wouldn't boot because of fstab is
> expecting the hd to be ad2.
> I changed it back and changed all references of ad2 to
> ad0 in fstab.  Still it wouldn't boot.  Apparently I
> didn't make sure the devices under /dev were made.
> Now Im stuck with a read-only root partition.  Is
> there a way where I can have the system boot to
> read/write and make those device entries??
> Thanks
> Please cc to gms08701@yahoo.com

   Interrupt the boot (during your 10-second "Hit any key..."
period), enter boot -s to boot single user, then "mount -u /" wil
change the root-slice mount from ro to rw.

--
"I haven't committed a crime.  What I did was fail to comply with the
law."  -- David Dinkins, New York City Mayor, answering accusations