Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:29:10 -0500
From:      Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
To:        Adam Martin <adamartin@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PE850 and FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE - Boot Issues

Adam Martin wrote:

> On 2006 Sep 18 , at 17:54, Adam Martin wrote:

>> [ Trimmed for brevity ]
>
>     Sorry to double reply, Jeff.  I just realized something.  The box
> that I've been developing AutoFS on, here at FSL is a Dell Power Edge SE
> 1425.  I dunno how much hardware there is in common, but I think we use
> the same cdrom drive.  The one in my PE is a thin-profile drive...  it
> seems to be the exact part that I had in an old Dell Inspiron.  (The
> drive has no tray motors, just an electro-mechanical latch which keeps
> it closed, and unlocks to let a spring pop out the tray by a few
> millimetres.)
>
>     Have you tried removing the cdrom drive from the mainboard?  Also
> how did you install, from CDROM?  I have seen an issue like this once
> before, back in 5.2.1 and 5.3, when trying to get it to boot on some
> older laptop hardware.  The kernel wouldn't boot from some media, but
> would from others.
>
>     You may want to try someone's custom compiled kernel, not the stock
> kernels...  But at this point, it is beyond the scope of a simple fix.
> I am curious to know, however, because I have not seen this behavior.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Adam David Alan Martin

The CD-ROM you described is exactly what is in the PE850.  I haven't
tried unplugging it from the motherboard but will give that a try today.

I installed from the CD and everything went as expected.  My only issue
is that I _have_ to use verbose logging at boot in order to get it to
come up.  Strange...

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com/