Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 1995 14:30:37 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Bacon <crtb@upcoming.dcrt.nih.gov>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error in GUIDELINES

In message <199504061210.IAA02118@upcoming.dcrt.nih.gov>, Chuck Bacon writes:
>	#ifdef _HAVE_PARAM_H
>	#include <sys/param.h>
>	#endif

>which is wrong.  The conditional is backward; it should be #ifndef.

Huh. The _HAVE_PARAM_H is meant to be set in a Makefile somewhere to
indicate that we do infact have the sys/param.h header file.
#ifndef _HAVE_PARAM_H would be stupid, and I actually think I know
what you're thinking of here. More in a tick.

>Furthermore the conditional should be omitted, since the same
>conditional surrounds the entirety of <sys/param.h>.

Bzzzt. Nope. Wrong. The contitional in <sys/param.h> is :
#ifndef _SYS_PARAM_H_
and is to stop warnings/errors due to repeated inclusion of the file.

The point of the _HAVE_PARAM_H variable is that not every machine does have
a <sys/param.h>. Why they'd be compiling a FreeBSD port on it is beyond
reasoning, but there you go!

Gary