Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 14:53:17 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com, questions@freebsd.org, joseph_m._o'connor@ccgate1.bms.com
Subject:   Re: Repair boot sector of IDE hard drive

Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>      Thanks,
>
>      Just as a final note, my collegue and I managed to install FreeBSD
>      successfully to the entire hard drive and utilized the full 1272 MB of
>      space.  Does that shed any light as to whether it was our BIOS or IDE
>      interface doing the translation, or is was the Ontrack Disk Manager?

No, FreeBSD in itself supports large drives!

>      We aren't too unhappy at this point that FreeBSD takes up the entire
>      drive.  However, an interesting afterthought.  My collegue has two
>      IDE hard drives > 1GB in size.  We only installed to the slave drive
>      and he reserves the 'Master', C:, drive for DOS and MS Windows.
>      His C: drive's data is fine, but DOS fdisk reports that it too now
>      has only a maximum size of 504MB.  Fips reports
>      a corrupted boot sector for the drive entirely filled with FreeBSD,
>      but doesn't report any such corruption on his C drive.  What might
>      this imply about his setup?

That he's using Ontrack disk manager.. :)
And that he is taking GREAT risks IMHO.

I have never used fips, So ..., I'm not a beliver of that sort of thing.
Backup, Blow it away and Do it right is my method!

> As well as give up on installing FreeBSD untill you get some
> hardware to do the translation! ie: LBA IDE interface, (Improperly
>  called EIDE)

Actually, This is not true. (Sorry I shouldn't of said it) FreeBSD in
itself needs no translation!
FreeBSD can handle HUGE disks on it's own.
My point was to be: If you use a Diskmanager for translation that you
are taking great risks for no reason, Plugin IDE interface boards
that do HW translation are cheap! Then you don't have to worry
about a funky boot record getting hosed! (DM style)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848