Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Francis W.S. Yeh" <francis@mail.adc.iii.org.tw>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug report

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Francis W.S. Yeh wrote:

>     Some one suggests that the problem is related to the other FQDN of
> www.bcc.com.tw, i.e. BCC_WWW.BCC.COM.TW, for it has a '_' in its host
> name. According to RFC1034, '_' is not said to be an allowable label

  Exactly.  Remove the "_" ASAP.

> character. However, I still wonder why this happens:
> (1) Why does nslookup works while ping fails?

  nslookup uses it own resolver code, to accomplish direct access to some
features.

> (2) Why does other systems works (including older version of FreeBSD)
> while FreeBSD 2.2.2R and later fails?

  Different version of libresolv.  All newer versions do this.  If you
upgrade your solaris 2.5.1 to the libresolv from Bind 8.8.1, it will do
the exact same thing.

  This is, apparently, some statements that you can put into
/etc/resolv.conf to tell the resolver to allow "_".  Don't rely on this
though, get the sites to fix the problem at the source.

> Thanks for all your excellent works. Regards.
>
> --
> Francis Wu-Sung Yeh <francis@adc.iii.org.tw>
> Avionics Development Center / Institute for Information Industry
> 4F, 134, Section 3, Min-Sheng East Road, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
> Tel: 886-2-718-9123 ext.134       Fax: 886-2-545-3950

Tom