Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:46:34 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Translators: Need feedback on FAQ reorganization

On Monday, March 12, 2001, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> I've just downloaded the (rather old) snapshot of your work from your
> homepage at people.freebsd.org and I'll just that snapshot as the base
> for my comments.
>
> I've noticed a couple of things that worry me:
>
> 1) Most questions didn't have an SGML id.  Please do not remove the
>    ids, they are extremly valuable to point users into the right
>    direction.

   I was going to work on re-adding those.  However, I'm waiting
for feedback before I go do anything new to the new-FAQ.

> 2) Please do not use the <name>/chapter.sgml structure of the handbook.
>    make is perfectly capable of handling more than one source file in a
>    directory. We don't need all those additional subdirectories and they
>    make it easier to become lost in the sources. Imaging having 5 or 6
>    editor windows (or screens, in my case), all editing "chapter.sgml".

   Anybody else have any opinion on this?  Nik?  I was following
the Handbook's structure for the sake of continuity.

> Check in the current version of the FAQ as Revision 1.1.
>
> Start moving the questions, one target a file at a time. In other words,
> if you create application.sgml, move all the questions about applicaitons
> into that file, add the neccessary SGML glue, and commit that change to
> your local repository. Do not rewrite the existing questions, do not add
> new questions. Just a simple move.

> Repeat the process until you've redistributed all the existing questions
> to your satisfaction.
>
> Start adding the new questions and commit them one question at a time.
> This way, the translations teams can easily split the work.
>
> Now you can start editing/rewording questions. Group your changes into
> logical blocks, modify only one file at a time, and commit each block
> seperately.

   Sounds good to me.  I'm still interested in what everybody
else thinks, too, though.  But that sounds pretty logical.

> [0] It might be possible to use the "our" repository (i.e. that of the
> FreeBSD German Documentation Project) for this purpose. I'll talk to
> Alexander Langer (alex@big.endidan.de) about it, it's his box.

   Not a problem.  Either a separate branch for the FAQ[0] in the
FreeBSD CVS repo itself, or a separate repository on
usw4.FreeBSD.org (I already have an account) should also do just
nicely.