Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:37:06 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp access

At 07:21 AM 2/28/01 +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
>Carroll Kong wrote:

> > >Not on 4.2 anyway. Just today - ok, technically yesterday, but who's
> > >counting? - I realized that the client was right after all. He could
> > >not log in indeed. Due to /sbin/nologin.
> > >
> > >When using regular ftpd. Using ProFTPd no problem.
> > >
> > >Ah, as a matter of fact, I was using inetd. Haven't tried
> > >daemon mode with 4.2 yet. Who knows? There might be hope, still.
>
> > That is odd.  The reason why ftpd does not work is because........ man ftpd
> > shows
> >
> >             4.   The user must have a standard shell returned by
> >                  getusershell(3).
> >
> > So, man getusershell shows
> >
> >       The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user
> shell as
> >       defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells.  If
> /etc/shells is
> >       unreadable or does not exist, getusershell() behaves as if
> /bin/sh and
> >       /bin/csh were listed in the file.
> >
> >          This is very odd, unless I am forgetting something I did, I JUST
> > did this with a client two days ago on 4.2-STABLE.  Telnet results in "not
> > authorized" or something like that, and ftpd lets them in happily.  Same
> > user name and all.  Please look it over, I am outright positive it
> > works!  (ok, maybe 99.99999% sure).  What is the error message?  User
> > denied?  Check man ftpd for that list of "reasons why ftpd would tell your
> > user to go away".
>

>As you can see, a lot more ASCII than before.
>
>But don't let me interupt you. You were saying "maybe
>99.99999% sure"... <g>.
>
>Ok, so how about that 0.00001% you were not sure about? ;)
>
>I agree, this isn't supposed to happen. But that's the story
>of my life. Yet I *am* alife! So, there you go.
>
>Roelof

>Rob Simmons wrote:
> >
> > /sbin/nologin as the user's shell.  You also have to add this shell to
> > /etc/shells

Well, if you want to be sly about it, how about you try reading what I
wrote and what the others wrote?  How about you do a cat /etc/shells | grep
nologin.  If that returns nothing, I think you just absolutely ignored our
advice and ignored man ftpd and man getusershell which I posted quite
clearly.  Mine returns "/sbin/nologin" as an allowable shell, so
getusershell returns a value pointer, so ftpd lets it through check point
#4.  That is my 99.999999% sure part talking, unless you got some other
weirdo problem which I do not quite understand.  The 99.999999% is also
saying that your cat /etc/shells | grep nologin is going to return nothing.

-Carroll Kong