Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:47:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R-Day, 15th October, 1998 (BST or similar ;-)

> At 07:08 PM 10/14/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> >Actually, Jordan's load is currently split between testing (where most
> >of my effort right now is) and trying to have something ready for the
> >Alpha at about the same time.
>
> Alpha?

It looks like there will be a snapshot of FreeBSD/Alpha at about the
3.0-RELEASE level, out at about the same time.  I don't think it will
be described as RELEASE quality (we're not a Linux vendor after all).

> >To the very best of my knowledge, it will not be sprung on the
> >unsuspecting 3.0 release.  Instead, it will probably be turned on as the
> >default a couple of weeks after the release, so that people tracking 3.0
> >will transition, but those using 3.0 flat will not.
>
> OK, I'm still a bit unclear.  There have been dozens of messages concerning
> the loader et all w/wo an ELF kernel.
>
> So, for 3.0 will sysinstall install the new loader and boot blocks _or_
> will this have to be done manually.

The new loader will be installed.  The new boot blocks will be
available, but will not be installed.  The new loader will not be
*used* by default.

> Further will 'make world'/'make buildworld' automagically install the new
> load on 3.0 if the sysinstall does not?

Yes.

> And then all hell breaks loose after the freeze. 8-O

The principal goals for the next few months will be to complete the
current development push and stabilise the existing feature set.  We'll
branch before 3.0.5 or whatever it's called in February or so, at which
point aggressive development will move to the 3.1 branch and the
-stable tag will transition to the 3.0.x branch.

As Jordan has already expounded, the 3.0-RELEASE is meant to put the
mostly-complete current feature set out to a wider audience; to get it
used in real-world conditions and on the radar screens of commercial
vendors, etc.  It holds much of the shape of things to come in many
ways, even though it is in and of itself not a complete thing.