Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:31:02 +0000
From:      Tom Brown <tomb@netlink.co.uk>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   netscape grinds to a halt and the power switch is the only option.

Hi,

I'm running BSD 3.0 on a 350 pentium with 64 Mb of ram.  Everything was
going fine until I added a load of additional swap space last week.

Basically I took 250 Mb from my spare slice and created a swap space
with it.  I then took the old swap space and turned it into a files
system and remounted it as /root/ , because /root seems to get full,
mostly because netscape put a load of stuff like mail in there.

Anyway, things were going fine until I spawned another browser window in
netscape and the following messages were generated .

(Something suggesting more swap space at 124Mb used, I have 250 Mb)

the only messages in /var/log/messages  were:

Dec  9 09:25:03 fatman communicator-4.07.bin: /etc/spwd.db: Invalid
argument
Dec  9 09:46:03 fatman /kernel: pid 1108 (kwm), uid 0: exited on signal
11 (core dumped)

The cursor get really, really slow  and my only course of action is to
kill the X session as quickly as possible, otherwise the system come's
to a complete standstill.

I think I've broken something, but I love to know how to find out what
is wrong.

Thanks for your time,

Tom Brown.