Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:57:27 -0800
From:      "rachel" <listbox_8811@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Virtual interface

Hi!

I have a freebsd4.4 box that has two nics, one going to a flowpoint144
router that is acting as a bridge that gives the box its public ip and my
linksys router which gives it a private ip (the router is also plugged into
the flowpoint and also gets a public ip form it).

I have wanted to monitor my router with mrtg and have that all setup.  To
get the snmp data from the flowpoint I made a virtual interface off dc0 (the
one going to the flowpoint) which is called dc0:1 with ip 192.168.254.1,
broadcast 192.168.254.255, netmask 255.255.255.0.  It is set to activate at
boot, but it doesn't start at boot up.  And when I bring it up manually it
calls itself dc0:0.  It does work to collect the snmp data from the
flowpoint at 192.168.254.254, but the problem is that that interface now
does not have a route to the outside world :-(.

Is there a way to have both ips on that nic that work at the same time?  Or
perhaps the problem is in the flowpoint, like it can't handle two ips on the
same port.  Any ideas? I could put a 3rd nic on the computer, but that is
over the top.

Thank you!

Rachel