Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:59:09 -0500
From:      Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Security! Please help newbie

Heres the deal. Two days ago I was hacked. I know this for a fact. The
guy was using my IP address in a Counter Strike game a friend of mine
told me. He said he made sure he had the IP address of the person. I
went online on IRC and when I got there he told me about what
happened. The guy tried a DoS attack on my friend. I was also banned
from a couple IRC Channels (I can get back in now) I couldnt connect 2
days ago for NOTHING. He was completely using all my bandwidth. We are
in the process of finding out who this guy was to prosecute. I don't
know what he used my IP address for and I don't think this is a
game. I reinstalled FreeBSD yesterday sometime. We went through a
couple security setups. I don't know anything about security. I will
explain what I did. I adding the following into my kernel config

# Firewall
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10

I also added the following to my /etc/rc.conf file

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_quiet="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.acl"

I then added the following the /etc/ipfw.acl

add 1000 allow ip from any to any

I have a few days off so I am going to be using these days for setting
up security and learning security. If someone out there would please
help me out with makeing sure my box is locked down tight I would
really appreciate it. I find it very childish and even scary knowing
someone has used my computer and not knowing everything he used it
for. Thank You and I hope to get some replys real quick to resolve
this matter as soon as possible.