Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 06:20:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4-19991219-STABLE upgrade crash

Bill Trost wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > I'm trying to upgrade my Fujitsu 635Tx from an a.out version of FreeBSD
 > to the above-mentioned snapshot, and when I select "Custom" to identify
 > the distribution sets I want, I get a signal 11 notification.  I turned
 > debugging on (at least, I think I did -- the options screen was largely
 > black-on-black) and saw the following debug output on vty1:
 >
 > 	DEBUG: Command `/stand/gunzip < /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz > /tmp/.doc/doc.tmp' returns status of 0
 > 	DEBUG: Signal 11 caught!  That's bad!

I can reproduce that problem (a.k.a. "me too!").

Yesterday I wanted to install FreeBSD on a virgin harddisk, so
I booted from the latest -stable snapshot floppies (19991219).
In sysinstall I selected "custom" in the distributions screen
(like I always do, because I don't like any of the predefined
sets, although "Developer" comes pretty close).

Well, sysinstall reported a signal 11 as soon as I selected
"custom" and died.  This was repeatable at the exactly same
place, so it's not a hardware problem.  I ended up doing a
"minimal" install and then installing the rest manually.

The problem is trivially repeatable even on a running system:
Run /stand/sysinstall, go to the custom/expert menu, select
"distributions", then "custom" --> bang.  It even drops a nice
coredump.  :)

(I'm very sorry -- At that time I had only kernel sources
installed, so I couldn't debug it.  But it's really trivial to
reproduce, so someone else can certainly look into this.)

There have been other issues with sysinstall during that
installation which almost made me go mad, but I don't complain,
knowing that sysinstall is a dead end anyway and going to be
replaced...  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)