Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:05:48 +0900
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        Richard Lupton <r.lupton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop mode for FreeBSD

On 7/26/05, Richard Lupton <r.lupton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have an old NEC Versa LX laptop with a very noisy disk. Mostly from
> the point of view of making it quieter, rather than saving power, I
> would like to let the disk spin down in the same way as laptop_mode
> does for linux.
> I can set the standby time and power saving options for the disk using
> ataidle, but the disk doesn't stay spun down for any length of time.
> Does anyone know of an equivalent to laptop_mode, or alternatively the
> appropriate sysctls to postpone disk access?
>=20
AFAIK, one doesn't exist.  Feel free to write one.  Anyways, in a more
productive manner...By disabling things that poll disk (cron, for
instance), disabling access times (mount with noatime), and
intelligent use of ramdisks, the disk can spend a lot of time spun
down.

--=20
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.