Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:09:49 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Shannon Wheeler <swheeler@altech.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSd.org, darryl@osborne-ind.com
Subject:   Re: Freebsd + Netmeeting = Possible ?

Shannon Wheeler wrote:
> From: Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
> >I am running Freebsd 3.2 on a gateway machine
>
> hmmm, maybe this bit:
> > (ppp -auto -alias isp).
>
> answers my question but I'm not sure...
> You have the Freebsd box set up as a router? nat? or proxy?
>
> If it's a router, you should be fine. You'll have to allow a fairly large UDP port range (the exact range presently escapes me - 10000 to 60000 maybe?) but that's the default isn't it?
>
> If you have a NAT or proxy setup you'll likely not have much luck with NetMeeting. Especially not if you want to send video.

Right. NetMeeting and other H.323 programs don't like NAT, and there
weren't any free proxy programs that worked with NetMeeting/Intel
Internet Phone back when I searched for one (about a year ago). I did
however find a program called PhonePatch, which is commercial ($50) but
with a free one-month trial period. It's available as a native FreeBSD
binary and it worked for me (for the short period I used it). You just
tell your voice-/video-conferencing program that you have an H.323 proxy
and enter the proper IP and port for your PhonePatch system.