Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 22:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charles Smith <shadow1@tidepool.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp, connecting to ISP.

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Charles Smith wrote:

> I got the PPP program to dial up, and connect to my ISP.  It asks for
> name and password, I entered it in correctly.  Ok, what's supposed to
> happen.  I tired to use the lynx or gopher program to interface with the
> ISP, but I wouldn't work.  Any suggestions.

You need to start a PPP session on your ISP.  You'll know you've gotten it
when you see 'packet mode' appear on the screen (PPP can automatically
determine if ppp has been started.) If you don't know how to do this then
ask your ISP.  Then type

add 0 0 HISADDR

to add the proper route.

Then all of your net applications should work, given other things (such as
nameserver) are set properly.