Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:26:38 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: source revisions, cvsups, etc...

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:36:33PM +0000, Kiril Mitev wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I DO apologise for the lame question... sorry :))
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that cvsup is a one-way system of ...
> lets say "syncing files"?

Well, CVSup is a nifty little thing that sits on top of CVS trees, and
does what you describe ;)

> If yes, can anyone suggest anything that will allow people to POST
> updates to a source tree from a remote computer, without access to
> such frivolities as nfs/shell accounts/etc.

You can use CVS itself.  I know that it has a network mode of operation,
which allows one (when working locally) to say things like:

	% mkdir /tmp/local
	% cd /tmp/local
	% setenv CVSROOT /home/cvs
	% cvs checkout src-all

and when working remotely:

	% mkdir /tmp/remote
	% cd /tmp/remote
	% setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@cvs.host.name:/home/ncvs"
	% cvs login
	Password: [your pass here]
	% cvs checkout src-all

I think that CVS uses an unencrypted protocol to communicate password
and other sensitive data over it's :pserver: connections though.  This
might be, err, sub-optimal in some cases.

A lot of people prefer using ssh to connect to the remote server and
work locally.  This requires that you use 'accounts' and you stated you
do not like it, but I can't think right now of any other way of working
remotely with CVS servers.  Perhaps ssh-tunneling of CVS connections?

- Giorgos Keramidas