Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:27:30 -0500
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        CyberT187@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd

CyberT187@aol.com wrote:

> Does Freebsd make a regular pc act like a internet server??? like, will it
> beable to have web pages and URL's like www.whatever.com? and cgi?
>
> I'm sure this information is on your site, but i keep getting glitches on my
> laptop, and my tower pc i want to use is dismantled at the moment.

Um.. It can act as a web server.. But there is a lot more involved then just
installing FreeBSD and then publishing web pages.. For one, you need to
register a domain name (www.whatever.com). You also need to get a static
IP address (the default IP address is dynamic for most ISP's.. This means it
changes every time you log on. Therefore it will not work for running a web
server). Also, you will need a full time dedicated internet connection if you
want people to be able to access your web pages all the time... And generally,
analog connections - even 56k V90- are to slow for a web server.. If you get
more then 1 person trying to hit your site at the same time it will slow to a
crawl.. 64K ISDN is better, but still pretty slow... Probably 128K ISDN is the
minimum. It's also pretty expensive (at least in my area) for ISDN and a
dedicated internet line.. For any serious traffic at all, you are looking at at
least a T1 (if you have to ask you can't afford it). If you are lucky enough to
live in a major metro area, you may had DSL available... This is faster then
ISDN, and in some cases, can be as fast as T1 (on the download but not on the
upload). DSL is cheaper then ISDN too, but it is very new, and not available in
many areas yet.