Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 19:14:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: comments on the SYN attack

In message <199609230010.SAA29579@information-retrieval.village.org> Darren Reed writes:
: so, you're saying something like "if I already have an established
: connection to this source host, try not to drop the half-open state" ?

I hadn't intended to say that...  I was wanting to make the point that
it was expensive to drop insipient half-open connections and that
should be avoided where possible.  In a SYN Bombing scenario, however,
that isn't possible, but it would argue, imho, to be conservative
about what you drop.

Warner