Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:37:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "local.freebsd.current" <local.freebsd.current@insignia.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5, Samba and ACL support

"local.freebsd.current" wrote:
> I've been hanging on for a production-ready FreeBSD which
> supports ACLs so I can replace an NFS server and an NT
> fileserver with one box which can do both.
>
> Changing company circumstances mean that I am forced to
> look to doing that now, rather than waiting for 5.1 or
> 5.2.
>
> So I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is using 5.0
> as a Samba server with ACL support - is it indistinguishable
> from an NT fileserver from the client POV?

ACLs in UFS are not the same thing as ACLs in NT, they are
POSIX ACLs, implement as part of MAC (Mandatory Access Controls)
requirements.

Do not expect them to interoperate with Samba as if Samba were
an NT server that supported NT ACLs.

Same thing for ACLs in Linux and other UNIX OS's, BTW: they
tend to comply with the POSIX standard, not with the NT stuff,
for which I don't think there is a published standard (only
documentation).

-- Terry