Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:47:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It works!  Solved my problem wih Etherlink III on AcerNote Light

> > In other words, if I have a local network connection, and I dial
> > up my pop account at my ISP, then Windows95 tends to screw up the
> > routing while the connection is up.
>
> It certainly shouldn't, and doesn't on any of my boxes.

Try running *any* proxy server for going from NETBEUI or IPX based
winsock.dll or wsock32.dll clients to a Windows95 box running the
proxy server to gate the socket calls.

If the Win95 box has a local network connection and supports RAS,
when a RAS connection is present, all packets will be sent to the
RAS connection, even if only one client has specified a RAS port
for its connection and all other clients have specified using the
local network connection.

You would run into this if you have a branch office connected by
intermittent connection instead of dedicated line.

You don't notice that it's sending all the packets to the wrong
place if your test setup also has a local (real) net connection.
But it is.

As far as why it happens, well, Win95 does not support routing
between local cards based on subnet correctly -- ie: a Win95 box
is not a router.

This relates to the original topic in that a Win95 box with two
network interfaces "named" the same network address will act as
you described -- IF you do not need it to route.

Anyway, this is all very special case, and is probably more interesting
to people into nomadic computing that the majority of the people
on this list.  I was just curious as to what would happen when it
was put in this environment (in case that's what he meant when he said
he had another machine with a "near identical setup" which worked...
it might have been non-FreeBSD.

Back to your regularly scheduled postings...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.