Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:21:56 +0100
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@pit.databus.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route pointing to a gateway that's not on net

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:13:18AM -0500, J. W. Ballantine wrote:
> >  IIRC this is his situation:
> >  1) Local LAN 10.0.0.0/8
> >  2) gateway on that LAN: 10.17.47.37
> >  3) Host X on the LAN that should have an 209.122.66.XXX IP address.
> >
> >  I assume here that he controls the 10.17.47.37 gateway.
>
> This is a Hybrid cable modem box, that AFAIK I can't
> do the route add on.

Okay..apparently I don't know excatly how your setup is.

Let me make a small drawing:

internet
+-+--------------+----+
+-----+
|modem+--------------+
+-----+              |

           |---+-----+---------|
           |   |               |
	H1    H2              H3

The modem acts transparently.
H1 is the host you want to give internet access. It should DHCP
from some host positioned after the modem.
H2 and H3 are local hosts that should be able to communicate with H1.
They will not have internet access.

H2 and H3 are assigned addresses (by you), in the 10.0.0.0/8 range.
Is that correct? If you have more info, please provide it.

> FWIW, and I know it's not much, windows, mac and linux will work
> with this strange setup.

FreeBSD will too..the question is HOW.

You could help me by telling how to mconfigure Linux on your setup.

-Guido