Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:29:55 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too much information

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 at 22:21:52 -0300, Gustavo V G C Rios wrote:
> Hy folks!
>
> Today i decide to cvsup RELENG_3, thing were ok, thanks! But there
> is one thing i could not understand.  I was running 3.2Stable, after
> a successful RELENG_3 cvsuped, my system uname changed to:
>
> FreeBSD myname.my.domain 3.3-RC FreeBSD 3.3-RC #15: Tue Sep  7 17:46:52
> EST 1999     root@myname.my.domain:/usr/src/sys/compile/ETOSHA  i386
>
> Nothing wrong, of course, but what's is 3.3-RC?  What does it stand
> for?

It stands for 3.3 Release Candidate.  3.3-RELEASE is right around the
corner (Sept. 15th IIRC), and the naming scheme has changed from -BETA
to -RC.  The reason it happened on the -STABLE branch is because
that's where -RELEASE comes from :-)

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -