Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:16:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        Les.LaCroix@Carleton.edu, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (long) page fault in kernel mode: suggestions?

> --On Wednesday, July 29, 1998, 6:11 AM -0400 "Thomas David Rivers"
> <rivers@dignus.com> wrote:
>
> >  If you config and build a new kernel with debugging on, you can run
> >  gdb -k on the new crash and get more information.
> >
> >  To build a debuggable kernel, us
> > 	config -g KERNEL_CONFIG_FILE
>
> Sorry I didn't speak to that in the original note.  The gdb output included
> in the first note was from a kernel built with config -g.
>
> >  You mention that the problem occurs with 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 - my problems
> >  didn't begin until I installed 2.2.6.  Did you have this box sucessfully
> >  set up with a version prior to 2.2.6?
>
> No.  The machine is less than a week old.  In fact, I _was_ going to try
> installing 2.2.5, but I didn't see it on the ftp archives once I thought
> about trying to retrograde.  Are the older releases tucked further down in
> the ftp directory, or maybe on a different server?

 I don't believe the older distributions are available on the FreeBSD
server.

 However, you might find a mirror, or some other server that still
had them.  A search on Yahoo, and/or archie might be worthwhile

> I'm a relative newbie; the 2.2.6 CDs are the first CDs I personally own.
> The FreeBSD boxes at work were installed by someone else.  He gave the 2.2.5
> CDs to a student, assuming we wouldn't need them any more.  I'm trying to
> track them down.

 If you can find them, and if 2.2.5 works on that hardware; it might
help to narrow down the issues around this problem...

	 - Thanks -
	- Dave R. -