Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:06:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marko Bukvic <marko@dreadnought.pfmc.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   more than 8 partitions

Greetings,

Is it possible to have more than 8 (Xds1h) slices on a 2.2.5-RELEASE box?
I tried configuring /,/var,/var/local,/tmp,swap,/usr,/usr/local, and /home
on my 4 gig drive and the label editor put a X over the last slice.
It couldnt newfs it, and when the install was done and I rebooted, that slice could not be used. I tried to nuke /usr/local as it was sd0s1h and the last
slice I made and tried to make it use the remainder of the disk but the label editor said "Unable to create the partition. Too big?"

I suppose one could create 2 dos-speak partitions but that would require me to
reinstall and I was hoping there was a way around that.

Thanks for any help.

Please reply to my email address.

Marko
marko@pfmc.net