Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:51:35 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which one to choose between devel/gettext and devel/gettext-devel

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:50:20AM +0200, Philippe CASIDY wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am quite annoyed because when I want to update bonobo from 1.0.7 to
> > 1.0.8, i need to use devel/gettext-devel.
> >
> > As devel/gettext and devel/gettext-devel have the same PORTNAME, i
> > deinstalled gettext-0.10.35 (from devel/gettext) to install
> > gettext-0.10.38 (from devel/gettext-devel) required by bonobo-1.0.8.
> >
> > But the problem is that gettext-0.10.38 doest not install libintl.so.1
> > installed by gettext-0.10.35.
> >
> > Do I have to install gettext-0.10.38 without removing gettext-0.10.35?
>
> Interesting.  libintl.so.1 definitely is listed in gettext-devel's
> pkg-plist.  The bento package building cluster also does not report
> and problems in building, installing and deinstalling gettext-devel.
>
> Can you post the full output of 'make clean all install', run from
> the ports/devel/gettext-devel/ directory?  It might be too long
> to post, you might put it on a website or something; or post
> a compressed log or something.

Don't really bother. The gettext-devel creates its PLIST on the fly, so content of
ports/devel/gettext-devel/pkg-plist is irrelevant. To answer the original question, yes, you
need both these ports, because binary utilities from the old gettext can't handle some files
from new packages, while those from the gettext-devel - some of the files from the old
packages. Therefore ports that can't be compiled using the older gettext do some tricks to use
binary utilities from the gettext-devel instead (see ports/misc/gnomeutils/Makefile for
example).

-Maxim