Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 20:59:22 -0700
From:      Christopher Seiwald <seiwald@tea.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad memory..

> > system: 486/33 isa, aha1542, 16mb
> >
> > added another 16mb and it went crazy with programs dumping core, and
> > kernel traps all over the place.  so i suspect the memory is bad (this
> > machine has run with 20Mb previously, and has bounce buffers configured
> > etc)..

Two comments:

1)	You might try replacing the first 16mb with the 2nd, rather than
	augmenting it, to see if your problem is due to the amount of
	memory or due to the new memory.

	If it fails with just the new memory, it could be because you
	were running at the system's margin and the new memory is just
	a tad slower than the old.

	If it fails only with both, it could be because you were running
	at the system's margin and the additional loading on the
	(memory bus) drivers slowed them down.

	People tend to doctor the voodoo BIOS parameters to get their system
	as fast as possible, only to find themselves beyond the ratings of
	their components (CPU, bus, memory) when they fully load the system.

2)	If you think program faults and panics are a drag: when my system
	was overclocked it worked fine except: when compiling the kernel,
	the cpp would complain about mangled # directives.  Go figure.
	My suspicion is that the CPU wasn't executing some sequences
	of instructions properly, but it is hard to pinpoint.

Christopher