Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:40:03 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvidia cards (3D Acceleration)

Kal Torak:
 |I am wondering about support for 3D accelerators like the GeForce and
 |other nvidia cards under FreeBSD... There are Linux drivers for these
 |cards, but no ports it seems to FreeBSD...

Yep, closed source drivers -- your gripe is with NVidia.  You need to post
to an NVidia mailing list.

 |I have heard that there is no or very little OpenGL support
 |for FreeBSD... Anyway, any tips, info or pointers would be
 |greatly appreciated :)

OpenGL has been there for a long while, thanks to Mesa.  But presumably you
mean hardware-accelerated OpenGL support.  Check out the mailing list
archives for the word "DRI".  Searches on "GLX" will turn up useful info
as well.

Go with a card like a Matrox G200/G400/G450 AGP, and (my understanding at
least is) you can get hardware-accelerated OpenGL.  Also, Voodoo* PCI/AGP
and some ATI AGP/PCI might give it to you too.  Search around for details.
Don't get a Matrox G200 PCI (assuming you can still get your hands on one)
-- PCI Matrox isn't supported in XFree86 DRI yet.

If you want more links and mailing list references to XFree86/DRI, let me know.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com