Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:14:55 -0600
From:      "John Amdor III" <johnmxl@netins.net>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

I thought I'd chime in with my $0.02...

I started playing with PCs when 386SX-16s were mainstream machines,
9600 baud modems were fast, and DOS 4.1 was brand-new.  I had a
chance to play with SCO at that time, but didn't.  DOS was
challenging enough, and I was trying to figure out what was so
special about Windows 3.1.  If I only knew then what I know now...

I, like many others I've read about here, was looking at Linux as a
solution to a problem (connecting a LAN to a dial-up ISP), but was
turned toward FreeBSD by a trusted friend, Mike Stickney, who had
just set up an internet server at his house (www.nocal.com) using
FreeBSD and Apache.

The project went away before I was able to do anything, but when the
new budget year starts, I'm ready.

 At present I don't have FreeBSD running on anything...I'm scrounging
hardware to build another box so that the family can continue to use
the Wintel machine as-is.  But I bought The Book, and the set of
2.2.5 CDs, and I'm learning.  I can do quite a bit on telnet to my
friend's server, at least at the user level.

I never did attempt to install Linux...I've got the Red Hat CD and
the "Linux for Dummies" book, but the same limitations that prevent
installing FreeBSD preclude Linux too,  so I can't compare the two
yet...

The more I see of the current commercial operating systems and the
current free *nix systems, I think my educational efforts will be
worthwhile.

--
John Amdor III
email: johnmxl@netins.net