Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 96 01:49:50 -0400
From:      "M. Wang" <mwang@fastlane.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot manager

Hi, I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0.  But, when reboot from hard disk, it just
boot as if I had never installed boot manager.  When I am in DOS, I
cannot change drive to the partition I installed FreeBSD.  However, from
fdisk, I can see a partition marked Non-DOS and the activation status is
on.  I partitioned my disk using fdisk utility of DOS.

When I first installed FreeBSD, I could not boot from my hard disk at
all.  I had to reinstall DOS and all other data in my first drive and
second drive. (So, basically, I install FreeBSD before I install DOS?).
The current situation is like what I described on my first paragraph.

I have 486 machine.  Two IDE drives.  130 meg and 540 meg.  I use first
drive for DOS(windows3.1), and the first part of second drive for DOS,
and remaining for FreeBSD.

I use novice installation.  The second drive partition after I installed
FreeBSD is as follows:

  Offset      Size    End    Name   PType   Desc     Subtype   Flags
      0       1008    1007     -       6    unused      0
   1008    512,064  513,071   wd1s1    4    extended    5        =
 513,072   541,296 1,054,367  wd1s2    3    freebsd    165      C=

I saw some questions similar to mine on the search engine, but, where can
I find the answers to those questions?

By the way, when I install, I did not see where it ask me which drive I
want to install Boot manager, I supposed it just install on my first
dirve, right?

Thank you for your patience.

Marie Wang
Disk name: wd1  Disk Geometry  1046 cyls / 16 heads / 63 sectors