Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 15:07:57 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Intermediate (?) level CVS questions

Greetings,

	I have been using cvsup happily for about 8 months now to keep my local
copies of source, doc and ports up to date. For various reasons I
decided to take a stab at using a full FreeBSD CVS repository. I am
familiar with the CVS basics like checking out files, making changes,
committing the changes, etc. We use CVS for DALnet ircd development.
However several of the specific reasons I want the full repository are
giving me a massive headache. :)  I've read everything I could find on
CVS including the info file, www tutorials, FAQ, Handbook, quite a bit
of the mail archives and of course the man pages.

	First question. I have successfully set up the CVS repository and used
it to check out a full set of -Stable sources, however there are quite a
few items that I don't build even during a make world so I would like to
avoid checking them out to conserve disk space. I looked high and low
for a setting that says "check out all of 'src' except the following"
similar to the refuse file I use for cvsup but couldn't find it. I've
basically come to the conclusion that such an option doesn't exist,
which isn't the end of the world I suppose. I know I could make a script
that checks out the individual elements that I want (in fact I did that
for ports) but it would be more work than I want to keep that up to date
for the src tree, and work is what I'm trying to avoid with CVS. :)

	Related to the first question, I have customized a lot of stuff in my
make world setup. Almost all of these changes are related to parts of
the system that I don't build, so we're essentially talking about a lot
of modified makefiles, and a few things related to long usernames. What
I'd like to do is set up a branch that has all of my stuff on it so when
I check out the src tree I can merge my branch into the main branch. I
am familiar with creating branches, however I ran into two problems.
First, I edited one of the makefiles, tagged it, then tried 'cvs commit
-r MYBRANCH Makefile'. I got an error message asking me to commit on
freefall instead which I'm sure no one would want me to do even if I
could. :) However I think this point is moot because I figured that
every time I cvsup'ed the cvs tree it would delete my changes, and I was
correct in that when I tested.

	What I suspect is that I need to create a whole new directory under
/home/ncvs for things like this, but I'm befuddled on exactly how to do
that from things checked out to /usr/src. I'd also like to do something
similar here with things like CAM. This is one area where I could use
some specific, detailed help or pointers to the same. :-/

	The next problem I'm having is using the rdiff command. One of the main
reasons I want the full CVS repository on hand is to take a look at the
changes between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 and see if I can find the cause of some
performance problems one of my customers is having since the upgrade.
When I do:

cvs rdiff -kk -r RELENG_2_2 -r HEAD src

I get a nice fat diff file and all kinds of little updates on the screen
telling me where cvs is diff'ing. However when I do:

cvs rdiff -kk -r RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE -r RELENG_2_2_6_RELEASE src

I get bupkis. Nothing but a grinding disk and no output at all. I've
double checked the tag names but still can't figure out where I'm going
wrong.

	I'm sure that these will seem simplistic questions to the CVS veterans,
however it would be a big help to me to get them answered. :)

Thanks,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet