Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 05:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      warhound@netcom.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dynamic PPP

        I have a few qustions concerning the files hosts host.conf and
resolv.conf..  I have setup the pppd to connect to my isp and it works fine.
It dials the isp connects logs in and gets the ip.

        My problem is this.  Once its connected i am unable to connect via
telnet, ftp or even ping any ip or host.  If i ping myself its fine.  Now my
setup is on a dynamic ip from netcom.ca.  The following info is what i know:

Domain:         netcom.ca
DNS 1:          207.93.1.4
DNS 2:          207.93.1.5
Netmask:        255.255.255.0
Gateway:        none or 0.0.0.0 if required
My IP:          dynamic
Hostname:       unknown <none given by netcom until connected>

        The above info is what was given to me by them.  For whatever reason
it is not working.  The Files are setup as so:

Hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost
0.0.0.0        warhound.netcom.ca      warhound

Host.conf:

hosts
bind

resolv.conf:

domain          netcom.ca
nameserver      207.93.1.4
nameserver      207.93.1.4

sysconfig:

namedflags="NO"
hostname=warhound.netcom.ca
network_interface="lo0 tun0 ppp0"
ifconfig_tun0="inet warhound.netcom.ca 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_ppp0="inet warhound.netcom.ca 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
routedflags=-s

ppp-on:

#!/bin/sh
#
TELEPHONE=555-1212	# The telephone number for the connection
ACCOUNT=george		# my login
PASSWORD=gracie		# my pass
LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0	# Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0	# Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0	# The proper netmask if needed
#
export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD
#
DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
#
exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/cuaa1 38400 \
	asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
	noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

ppp-on-dialer:

#!/bin/sh
#
exec chat -v						\
	TIMEOUT		3				\
	ABORT		'\nBUSY\r'			\
	ABORT		'\nNO ANSWER\r'			\
	ABORT		'\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'	\
	''		\rAT				\
	'OK-+++\c-OK'	ATH0				\
	TIMEOUT		30				\
	OK		ATDT$TELEPHONE			\
	CONNECT		''				\
	ogin:--ogin:	$ACCOUNT			\
	assword:	$PASSWORD

        Thats all that i use to connect to my isp... I run ppp-on it
connects fine logs on etc.  But like i said i cannot get out...  If anyone
has an idea of what i may have done wrong or something that i need to change
or add please mail me and i will be grateful... I have looked all over the
web and the faqs and handbook that come with it and i cannot find out...

        Thank you all in advance and happy trails on the bsd front...

Glen....