Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:10:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

At 11:32 AM 4/15/99 +1200, Craig Harding wrote:

>kay Brett, name 3 specific examples where Jordan has "undermined and
>sabotaged" FreeBSD advocacy efforts by anyone.

OK: Look at the article referenced earlier in this thread. In that
article, Jordan equivocates about FreeBSD's superiority to Linux
(that's one) and asserts that Microsoft should be allowed to take
over the desktop (that's two -- and a particularly damaging one
as many people will have a visceral reaction to it). He has also,
by his own admission, encouraged developers NOT to develop native
versions of their applications for FreeBSD but rather to do them
for Linux. Three strikes, I'm afraid.

>I've said it before and I'll say it again: Linux isn't successful
>because of a concerted PR effort by a small organised team. Linux
>achieved its profile through the rabid, half-crazed mutterings of
>several thousand university students around the world who, as the
>young and inexperienced tend to do, firmly believed that the OS they
>were running on their own machines was the single greatest, most
>reliable, technically advanced operating system in the known
>universe, irrespective of hard evidence to the contrary.

There's a lot that's good about engendering that type of advocacy.
UNIX itself owes its success largely to its introduction into
academia early on.

Jordan, however, deplores that type of advocacy and says he will,
in fact, discourage it.

--Brett

"For every action there is an equal and opposite government program."

--Bob Wells