Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 15:31:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, jkh@freebsd.org, orders@cdrom.com, questions@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org, wosch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing distfiles on FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE CD-ROMs

> I perfectly understand the space restrictions and I'm actually very impressed
> by the way, you managed to fit so many packages on just 4 CDs. But have you
> considered the following arguments?

Of course.

> 1. Some packages are derived from GPLed sources and dropping their distfiles
>    may not be in the spirit of the GPL. The GPL states, that it is enough

That is incorrect and you simply need to read the GPL again a bit more
closely.  The GPL requires that you make this material available
either by pointing the end-user at an FTP site containing the
distribution sources or on some media at a reasonable price.  The
ftp.freesoftware.com FTP site contains the sources required and at no
download fee, satisfying the requirements from one angle, and the
toolkit CDROM set satisfies it from another.

> 2. Most Linux-Distributions come with full sources or at least a substantial
>    amount of sources, and that includes sources for everything, including

What the Linux distributions are doing is what the linux distributions
are doing.  FreeBSD does not slavishly follow everything that Linux
does and if it did, it would simply be another Linux.  I don't see how
this point of comparison has merit.

In any case, this is simply how things are and isn't likely to change
until such time as DVDs become more popular or I'm allowed to increase
the size of the default distribution set.  Going to 6 CDs would
give me the option of putting some distfiles on the same FreeBSD release
collections, but the price would almost certainly have to be raised
to cover the increased costs.  Would you be willing to pay more for
the product if that were the case?

- Jordan