Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:52:31 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to get xntpd to work

I am trying to set up time synchronization on 5 machines. What I want
to do is have one machine, call it host0, sync to a public ntp server
and have the other four machines, host{1,2,3,4} sync to the local xntpd
server. I have read the xntpd(8) and searched the archives but can't get
it.

On host0 I have the following in '/etc/ntp.conf':

server black-ice.cc.vt.edu
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 4

After starting xntpd on host0 I tried 'ntpdate -q host0' on the other
machines.  I get a message that host0 is stratum 16, followed by a 'no
host suitable for synchronization message'. Why is host0 stratum 16?

I did an ntpdate to the public server prior to starting xntpd to get the
time right at the start.

I have had xntpd running for several hours now and the driftfile that
was created has the following contents:

0.000 0

That does not seem right. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net