Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 18:41:56 -0500
From:      "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        "RP Kelvin" <rp200107712@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot Record Deleted

----- Original Message -----
From: "RP Kelvin" <rp200107712@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:19 PM
Subject: Boot Record Deleted

> Hello All,
> We (in our company) have a PC with FreeBSD 4.4 and
> Windows 95 (used sparingly) on a dual boot.
> Accidentally my coworker did a fdisk /mbr on
> PC thereby erasing the boot record. The disk
> is not formatted so I know the FreeBSD also exists.
> Now it directly boots Windows and does not give the
> prompt for F1, F2, etc.
>
> Please advise how to get back the boot record
> so that we can dual boot between windows and FreeBSD
> again. I have FreeBSD CD's with me. Please don't
> tell it is not possible !
>
> Thanks
> RP

Hi,

depending on what dard drives you have, WD, for eamples has a DOS utility
that will show you all of the MBR on all disks, if you have more than one
That way you can restore it, but the only other way I'd do boot off a BSD
boot disk and tweak with the boot loader; I dont know if Win95 has a boot
loader like NT/2000/XP, but if it does, then you can have windowz start up
and create a BSD boot imaage, 512bytes, stick it into C:\ and edit the
boot.ini file.

That is an overview, let me know if you need more assistance.

Nick